Check out the welcome post on the right side bar for what this is all about. Be sure to send your photos to therecipeproject@live.com

Friday, January 6, 2012

Southwest Soup

I think every recipe in my collection has a bit of story connected to it.  When I pull that recipe out I'm reminded why or what was happening at the time.

I'm usually really prepared throughout the week having all my meals planned out.  This one particular Sunday we had a really rough week and I was sitting there wondering what on earth to cook.  For me not wanting to cook is pretty serious.  I think we ended up making cheese sandwiches and canned soup.  This is a very rare occurrence in our house.  For some reason I went to go outside and there was a little basket with food in it to cook this delicious soup.  I was so thankful by the thoughtfulness of the person who anonymously dropped off the food and was cursing myself for not going out there sooner because we could have had such a tastier dinner then toasted cheese sandwiches.  If you notice this is a meatless soup.  It tastes good just the way it is.  However, when I made it a second time I added shredded chicken and it was just as good.  I also cut way back on the butter and have also sauteed the onions in olive oil.  Enjoy!

Southwest Soup   

1/2 butter
2 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. garlic
3-4 tsp. cumin
2 qts. water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
3 cubes beef bouillon
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans corn
2 cans tomatoes and chilies
6 oz tomato paste
2 cans green beans
corn tortillas
shredded cheese

Saute onions with butter in large pot.  Add water and spices.  Add canned ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.  Slice tortillas into strips.  Cook in oil until crispy.  Top soup with tortillas and cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I'll take you up on this one. It might be next week when I actually make it. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete