Check out the welcome post on the right side bar for what this is all about. Be sure to send your photos to therecipeproject@live.com

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

photo by Tami N.

Recipe from Great-Grandpa's Cookbook

I think any baker is always looking for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I have 3 different recipes that I rely on depending on what ingredients I have on hand.  This first one I have works great in moist climates.  It was passed down through our family.  When I was living in Seattle these always turned out perfect.  For some reason they set up differently since I moved to Utah but still good none the less.  My cookie tip is I reduced the number of minutes to 10 to cook then I let them sit on the baking pan for a few minutes and they stay nice and chewy.  Also, use this for white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies just omit the chocolate and walnuts.  I love almond extract switch it out for the vanilla...it tastes fabulous!!!!  And if it's been a few days and you don't like a hard cookie just nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds...it will soften up great.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/8 c. sifted flour
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. shortening (butter shortening works great)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 egg beaten
1 t. vanilla
8 oz chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (opt.)

Sift flour, soda and salt and set aside.  Cream shortening and sugars together.  Add egg and vanilla.  Blend thoroughly.  Add sifted ingredients.  Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake 350 degrees about 10 minutes.

update:  BIG thank you to Carrie who caught a typo on my recipe.  The shortening amount is changed now.  That could've been really tragic.  Guess I better double check better my typing skills.  Also, I always double this recipe...I guess I should just rewrite to be doubled.  For a family you definitely want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment