There are a few changes to this recipe that I would like to share but before I do know that the recipe is great how it is. My friend Cathy Rhodes gave me this recipe after she gave me some bread after having my first baby and I fell in love with it. If you can freshly grind your wheat flour I HIGHLY recommend doing it. My bread will never be like hers because of this one simple step. I'll include the changes after the recipe.
Dee's Health Bread
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 cup warm water
3 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
7 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup cracked wheat
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
4 teaspoons salt
4 cups bread flour
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. In a large bowl, mix remaining 3 1/2 cups warm water, honey, molasses, oil, eggs and lemon juice. Mix well. Add yeast mixture and stir.
2. Gradually add 5 cups whole wheat flour beating well after each addition. Add the flax, cracked wheat and sunflower seeds, stir well.
3. Let stand for 20 minutes, until mixture is very light. Stir in salt and the rest of the flours until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Knead 10 to 15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Put into a greased bowl and cover, let rise in the oven with light on until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down and shape into 6 round balls. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
6. Form into loaves and let rise covered in oven until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) 25-35 minutes.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com
Changes as follows:
Omit the molasses and increase honey to 1/2 cup
Omit the bread flour and increase the whole wheat flour to 11 cups
Omit the cracked wheat and increase flax seed and sunflower seeds to 1/3 each.