Check out the welcome post on the right side bar for what this is all about. Be sure to send your photos to therecipeproject@live.com

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hawaiian Haystacks

Recipe from The Pratt Family Cookbook

I use this recipe for my Hawaiian Haystacks.  For those of you who have never had this your base is rice that you put a chicken gravy on top then you pile it with a whole bunch of different toppings.  I have another substitute for the cream of chicken soup.  It's a food storage mix that replaces canned soup and works just lovely.  I'll dig that out and put it up here.  I  really don't like runny gravy on my Haystacks.  If you want to thicken your gravy up pour a little bit of milk in a bowl and whisk in 1 Tbl of cornstarch or potato starch then mix it in the sauce over medium heat.  It will give you the more heartier thick sauce.  Also, I rarely use sour cream anymore.  My go to is plain yogurt.  If you want a little bit more flavor put a couple shakes of Mrs. Dash salt free garlic blend.

If you need ideas of what to put on your Haystack here is what our family has tried:  slivered almonds, peas, craisins, shredded cheese, tomatoes, chow mein noodles, coconut, pineapple, olives, celery.  I know I've probably left some things out.  If you're family has any other toppings they like throw them in the comments.

Chicken, Turkey, or Ham a la King

2 cups cooked cubed chicken, turkey, ham or other type of meat
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1 can cream of chicken soup or other cream soup
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
3 1/2 cups frozen or fresh vegetables
(Omit vegetables if using for Hawaiian Haystacks.)

Cook rice. Cook frozen or fresh vegetables. Drain excess liquid off of cooked vegetables.
Heat up sour cream, milk, soup, and vegetables in medium size sauce pan. Put meat in
cream mixture. Serve over rice.
Copyright 2000-2001 Barbara Pratt. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment