Check out the welcome post on the right side bar for what this is all about. Be sure to send your photos to therecipeproject@live.com

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Creamed Eggs on Toast

Easter is coming up and you know what that means...eggs and ham galore!  We have a tradition in our family that we use the eggs from Easter to make creamed eggs on toast.  Growing up sometimes the dye would soak through so we would have multi-colored eggs in the sauce.  I have never written down this recipe because it's something that I've always known using a simple white sauce.  In an attempt to give my family ALL my recipes that means taking the ones I make from my brain and writing them down.  I'll do my best because on these recipes I wing it and throw it in until it looks right.  I'll skip the part of explaining how to make boiled eggs...I'm hoping that you know that already.

Creamed Eggs on Toast

1/4 cup butter

5 Heaping Tbl flour
2 to 2 1/2 cups milk
salt and white pepper to taste
powdered garlic(optional)
6-8 boiled eggs
buttered toast

In a medium sauce pan melt 1/4 cup butter.  Once butter is melted, add flour to make a paste.  Using a wire whisk to stir, slowly add in milk over medium heat.  Continue to stir until sauce thickens up.  Add salt and white pepper to taste.  If you feel dangerous, you can throw in a dash of powdered garlic...it adds a nice kick.  Take your hard boiled eggs and peel off the eggs shells.  With a paring knife, roughly chop eggs into white sauce.  Let it heat through for a few minutes after adding the eggs.  Serve over buttered toast.  My kids like to break up their toast into a mound so it looks like a volcano.  If you're missing you're breakfast meat you can always add ham, sausage or bacon to the mix or even have it on the side.  Enjoy!


*Reminder* Be sure to send me your lovely pictures of the food if you try it for my scrapbook to:

therecipeproject@live.com

No comments:

Post a Comment